08 March 2008

Diane Sat in Pee Today...

So today was just SO FRENCH! I woke up to the sun (it's been cloudy for the past week or so) and immediately went back to the Iena market and stocked up on produce for my road trip to Normandie and Bretagne (I leave Tuesday!). Diane and I then took the bus all the way to Montmartre so I could be a hippie and sit on the steps of the Sacre-Coeur and write things down and listen to live music. We met Monique there and we sat and chilled and listened to this AWESOME guitarist from Italy who had the ENTIRE crowd singing and clapping along. In between singing "Volare" and writing letters, I gazed out at the panorama of the city. And somewhere in there, Diane discovered she sat in a puddle of something. I was like, "Oh, it's probably just pee," as a joke. Turns out it was. Welcome to France? Sick. After leaving Sacre-Coeur, we went home to get ready for the opera! Sierra had to go to this exact place at this exact time to get the cheap seats. So for 7 euros, we saw "The Rake's Progress" at the OPERA GARNIER! It was stunning! This is the opera house that Phantom of the Opera is based on (and I think the movie was filmed there, too). The show itself was terrible. I mean, obviously it was good enough to be at the Garnier, but the first 2 out of 3 acts I had my eyes closed because PRACTICALLY EVERYONE WAS NAKED! I was scarred and wounded. The music was nice........hahaha I guess that's European entertainment for you. They really don't have any morals. Though the opera was in English, I really couldn't understand a thing they were singing, so I had to read the French subtitles. Well, it was worth the money to just sit in the Garnier.

Yesterday was pretty French too. For my friend Susie's birthday, a group of us went to Angelina's, this famous and super nice cafe, for the best hot chocolate ever. I had white hot chocolate. Holy Cow. It was like drinking a melted chocolate bar. We enjoyed our drinks on couches and overstuffed chairs around a pretty tea table. We had what was probably the deepest conversation I've ever had in my life and left 3 hours later to go to Susie's house for crepes. Oh crepes.......Tomorrow is another crepe party at someone else's house. That makes 4 in 9 days. Yes......

No comments: