We then made our way to the Loire Valley, stopping at many a château: first Ussé, then Villandry, then Chenonceau, then Blois, then Chambord. Villandry was my favorite. A charming castle, yet not overbearing. The interior actually seemed lived in; and it was, not too long ago. The best part was that our group basically owned the place. I think I saw exactly one other tourist. The gardens were soooo beautiful and for at least 30 minutes I just sat in the grass and picked the flowers/weeds. Chenonceau was also quite incredible. Chambord was just large and in charge. Gorgeous, but vacant in the inside since it was too big to ever be lived in for more than a few months. Blois was dull, compared to the others, but they were filming a movie there! Doesn't look too promising though. Kind of like one of those corny Lifetime films that you get sucked into when you're bored and there's nothing else to watch on T.V. Chaîne 2 in France, if you get French T.V. Should be a real thriller.
The coolest part of the Loire Valley was Amboise, where we went to Leonardo da Vinci's house. When in France, GO HERE. It rocks. There are to-scale copies of a bunch of his inventions strewn about his "yard" (a forest, really), and huge blown up images of his paintings and sketches hanging from the trees.
Diane and I in front of Château UsséBlown-up painting hanging in Leonardo da Vinci's yard
No comments:
Post a Comment