SAINT VACHE. SO....Diane (my roommate) and I moved into our apartment on Monday night (we stayed in a hotel the first 2 nights) and it is absolutely incredible. We live in the 16th arrondissement, between the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe. the apartment is stunning, built in the early 1900s. And our hostess, Madame Michel, is very rich, very smart, and very intimidating. She's nice and helpful, but i'm afraid of doing anything wrong! Diane and I both have our own rooms, with giant windows that look over a gorgeous garden in the courtyard, and fireplaces. In the salon there is a grand piano but i haven't brought myself to ask Madame if I can play it. I take the metro everyday into Le Marais, the gay quarter of Paris where, so far, I have found the people to be the nicest. And they have free WiFi.... I go to school in Le Marais as well as Church.
So I've only been here for what....3 1/2 days....but I feel like I've been here for quite a while. My French is improving incredibly. Probably because don't have much of a choice. The French respect you so much more if you speak their language or at least try to. I had to buy some pills to help allergy symptoms (i'm allergic to wheat and milk.....wonderful.....that's basically the diet of France) and my conversation with la pharmacienne went perfectly well. There's definitely something to be said for the French language. It makes life in Paris much easier and much more welcoming.
Haha so Diane and I got in trouble for the first time.....so far. We left our bedroom doors open when we were supposed to close them. We locked the front door when we left. Bad. We used the wrong bowl in the microwave. Madame is just anal. And we stayed too long in the kitchen. Apparently an hour for dinner is way too long. Oh well! I'll get used to this. Hopefully. From the sound of my friends' apartments, Diane and I lucked out.
I'm working on blending in with the Parisiens. Don't smile. Don't wear anything but black or brown. Don't eat while walking. Let your small, ugly dog poop on the sidewalk and leave it there. This is fabulous!
Haha, no but really, this has been great. I'm headed to Belgium next week for a few days.
Oh and another thing. My stomach is bound to shrink. Breakfast consists of a piece pain grille avec de la confiture (toast and jam) and hot chocolate. By lunch time I am voracious. Another thing to get used to.
Sarah's Eurotrip '08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
so i meant to leave that first comment i left above on this one. btu anyway. so you're allergic to wheat and milk.....so drink wine! do as the french do. oh my gosh youa re gonna sound classy as heck (classy as that sentence...)when you return to us obese americans! you might even be more fluent than mlle. stockman. or should i say stockmanne. it looks more french. anyway. this blog is freakin sweet, and i love reading it. good job littlest holden rice cake (gluten-free). you need to take some picture out your window of the courtyard and of all the sights. and post them. NOW!
and i wouldn't be able to survive on a piece of toast. go get a mcgriddle to supplement it
Post a Comment