11 February 2008

De l’Amitié…

So I studied in the Louvre today. Ahh. This is the place. My time was spent in the Mesopotamian Antiquities section (aka the Boring Age) because I have to give a presentation on the art of the Persian Empire this week. It was more interesting than I expected, but I would've much rather seen Delacroix or Gericault. No worries. I shall return. In fact, I have a class that meets there once a week.
So after my research sesh, I took a gander outside of the Palace, through the Tuileries Garden, while I waited for my friends. Some garcon wanted to paint me so I pretended not to speak English. Then he started speaking French so I just didn't respond. He assumed I was from Poland. I don't know. Worked for me.
Then, while sitting underneath a statue of Napolean, I met another garcon. Named Adel. He was great! Yay a Parisien friend! Don't worry Mom, I approached with caution. After saying hello and asking how I was and what I was doing in Paris, he asked me out. Haha the French aren't afraid to jump right in here, obviously. Luckily I distracted him with some question or other and we ended up talking for a half-hour or so 'neath Napolean. What I loved was that he couldn't tell I was American (probably the biggest compliment to an aspiring fluent French speaker and non-tourist). He thought I was Scandinavian instead. Whatev. I can take that. Not a word of English passed and the whole conversation was smoooooth as butta. He did end up getting my number only because he saw me holding my cell phone and what was a supposed to do, deny having it? Well, I guess I could've done that. Hind sight's 20/20. Don't worry Mom, I promise not to go out with him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Vous pourriez recevoir le chocolat libre sur la Saint-Valentin!! Allez pour cela!

Sarah said...

haha nice translator:) that's what i try to do--translate english expressions word for word and then i just get the weirdest looks.